Spitty Genealogy

 Research & data

Back to Index

T/Z 151/22/2
Level: Fonds MONUMENTAL INSCRIPTIONS RECORDED BY ESSEX SOCIETY FOR FAMILY HISTORY
Level: Item Monumental inscriptions

Level: Item
Reference Code T/Z 151/22/2
Dates of Creation 1982, 2001
Extent 1 vol.
Title [Monumental inscriptions]
Scope and Content Monumental inscriptions in churchyard of United Reformed Church and Old Burial Ground, St. Mary Magdalene Church, Holy Redeemer Catholic Church, Mayflower Hall (United Reformed Church Hall) and War Memorial, Billericay.
Includes photograph of United Reformed Church, Billericay; pen and ink drawing of St. Mary Magdalene, Billericay taken from The Parish Churches of South-West Essex by Charles Grigg Tait; notes on all of the churches surveyed, indexes of names, places in Essex, places outside Essex and occupations; plans of Burial Ground of Old Meeting (Congregational) Church, United Reformed Church cemetery and interior of St. Mary Magdalene
Inscriptions in the Burial Ground of the Old Meeting House include one to James Mabbs of West Smithfield, London, linene draper, bequeathed in will 500 to trustees of meeting house' towards teaching and educating poor children whose parents are not able to give them learning', 1773
Mayflower Hall wooden board records the names of Christopher and Marie Martin, Solomon Prower and John Langerman from Billericay who sailed on The Mayflower, 1620
United Reformed Church cemetery, Chapel Street includes Commonwealth War Graves Commission headstone to Lance Corporal R.C. Bright, The Royal Warwickshire Regiment, died 1944; inscription to William Allen Bowen associated with the London City Missions, 1881; inside church memorials to Pilgrim Fathers and those from Billericay who sailed on The Mayflower; Revd. John Thornton, pastor, 1841; Revd. Alfred Kluht, minister 1876-1895 'great semitic scholar'; Oscar Sewell Ladbrook killed in action at Battle of Langemarck, 1917, deacon and Superintendent of Sunday School
Inscriptions in St. Mary Magdalene Church include those to Charles Darby O.B.E., J.P., Manager of Narborough Estate, Sungkai, died at Sungkai, Perak, Federated Malay States [Malaysia], 1931; Robert John Nash Cresswell killed by lightning at Sungkai, 1912; Francis William Darby, manager of Tekka Tin Mines, Federated Malay States, 1913; Richard John Purefoy Darby died at Selangor, Federated Malay States, 1907; Frederick John d'Esterre Darby died at Malacca, 1926; Thomas Jenner Spitty, Major Essex Rifles, J.P. and D.L., 1898; Frederick James Smith, Relieving Officer of Billericay Union, 1906; Lieutenant H.G. Welham M.C., Royal Sussex Regiment, killed while leading an attack near Valenciennes, 1918; Edward William and Cecil James Cottis, brothers killed in First World War, 1918; table in memory of Miss A.E. Boughtwood, founder of Burstead House School
Holy Redeemer Catholic Church contains inscription to Anne Raphael of Stockwell Hall, Little Burstead, erected by nephew 6th Earl of Mexborough

Acknowlegements to :- Essex Record Office